Nav Bar




         

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

DIY: Chevron Vanity Shelf

My first DIY project! (first of many, I assure you)

After being inspired by one of my fellow sorority sisters, Mina, I decided to DIY my vanity area for my room at my new house at college. Along with the latest trends, I have been loving the chevron pattern.

I've always wanted a vanity of my own dedicated to my love of make up and beauty supplies. Since they tend to be, well...extremely expensive, I decided it was a perfect opportunity to explore my craftiness!

One of the things I love about the way I set this shelf up, is that it is held up with 2 brackets underneath that can barely be seen. By doing this, I gain a less cluttered look that I would have gotten with the legs of an actual vanity. Since I'm trying to make my own little apartment in my room, I need to save as much space as possible!



I started out with a 38" x 13" piece of wood. I sanded and primed it with 2 layers of white paint. After that, came the excruciatingly tedious task of sketching 3"x3" boxes and taping the Chevron pattern.


Once this was done, I was able to paint over it with a basic acrylic gold paint. It took a bunch of coats but it didn't take very long to finish.


At this point it was time to reveal the work! I took the shelf to my house at school and removed the tape with one of my housemates. I was so nervous and had a feeling I would have to touch it up.


Needless to say, I had to touch up both the white and the gold areas. But after I was done it was SO worth it! I am so excited to use it this year! Once I finish the complete area, including the jewelry decor, I'll update this post with pictures!

1 comment :